March 16th, 2012
On Sunday the 11th of March, we held a tasting night of beer, cheese and charcuterie at The Goods Shed, Canterbury. The evening was in aid of Westgate Hall and a very fine evening was had by all. The 20 lucky punters enjoyed the following:
- Girardin Framboise with Flower Marie Ewe’s Milk Cheese – the Girardin is both slightly sour and sweet providing a wonderful counterbalance to the creamy texture and taste of the Flower Marie.
- Nogne Brown Ale and Cumin Gouda – the nutty elements of both the cheese and the beer blend beautifully to make this a combination that betters the sums of it’s (wonderful) parts.
- Brooklyn Lager with Iberico Lomo – the simplicity of a good crisp lager with Spanish meats is enhanced by this dark, Vienna style brew and the unique qualities of the lomo.
- Fuller’s Vintage Ale 2005 with Ashmore Farmhouse – the quintessential pairing of British Ale and cheddar taken to new levels of fun with one of the best British cheeses paired with a rare beauty from Fuller’s.
- Brooklyn Chocolate Stout with Colston Basset Stilton Cheese – this combination is one of the most remarkable food and drink matches we’ve ever encountered. Truly amazing.